Watch the video of last Sunday’s Choral Evensong on YouTube.
If you would like to participate in our next service live on Zoom video conference, please sign up to our mailing list to receive joining details.
Welcome to week 9 in our ‘Choral Evensong from Home’ series – for The Fourth Sunday after Trinity.
I am Director of Music at St James, and the music in this video is performed by four members of the choir who also happen to be part of my family!
We set up a little studio in my home office, which is a cabin at the bottom of our garden (I have a digital organ there), and sang everything from there. Mother Katie led the service, and a member of our congregation and two members of the choir (as a duet!) read the lessons. Our prayers were led by one of our lay readers, and one of our basses acted as host of the Zoom meeting.
As Mother Katie said after the service, our Choral Evensong at Home series genuinely a team production.
It was wonderful to be able to premiere “Jesus, good above all other” – the third of three pieces written especially for us by Christopher Gower!
We hope you enjoy our service. Please use the YouTube ‘Like’ (thumbs up) feature for our videos and also click ‘Subscribe’ to keep in touch with our latest uploads.
Many thanks and best wishes,
The order of Service:
- Organ Prelude: Canon in B Minor Op.56 No.5 (R. Schumann)
- Opening Hymn – This is the day the Lord hath made
- Sung Responses (Disraeli Brown)
- Psalm 56 (Responsorial)
- Old Testament Reading: 2 Samuel 2: 1-11; 3: 1
- Magnificat – Salisbury Service (Malcolm Archer)
- New Testament Reading: Luke 18: 31 – 19:10
- Nunc Dimittis – Salisbury Service (Malcolm Archer)
- Creed and Sung Responses (Disraeli Brown)
- Anthem – Jesus, good above all other (Christopher Gower – WORLD PREMIER)
- Closing Hymn – I heard the voice of Jesus say
- Organ Voluntary – Toccata in B minor (Gigout)