Watch the video of last Sunday’s Choral Evensong on YouTube.
If you would like to participate in our next service live on Zoom video conference, please sign up to our mailing list to receive joining details.
Welcome to Week 7 in our ‘Choral Evensong from Home’ series – this one for The Second Sunday after Trinity.
I am Director of Music at St James in New Malden (UK), and the music in this video is performed by four members of the church choir who also happen to be part of my family!
We set up a little studio in my home office, which is a cabin at the bottom of our garden (I have a digital organ there), and sang everything from there. Mother Katie led the service live, and two members of the choir read the lessons. One of our basses acted as host of the Zoom meeting.
It was very exciting this week to be able to premiere “Faithful Shepherd, Feed Us” – the first of a collection of three pieces written especially for us by Christopher Gower!
In this service, the New Testament reading speaks of us being called to ‘The Feast’. Together with Christopher’s anthem, most of the music in this service contains echoes of this idea. For example, Margaret Rizza’s beautiful ‘Song of Mary’ (a setting of Mary Holtby’s contemporary take on The Magnificat), highlights the reading’s message of the proud being ignored in favour of the humble and meek. Our final hymn – another setting of the The Magnificat – contains the lines “The hungry fed, the humble lifted high”.
We hope you enjoy our service.
Please use the YouTube ‘Like’ (thumbs up) feature for our videos and also click ‘Subscribe’ to keep in touch with our latest uploads.
With best wishes, Jason Edge
The order of service:
- Organ Prelude: Adagio from Violincello Concerto Op.85 (Elgar arr. DGM)
- Welcome Opening Hymn – Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life
- Sung Responses (Aston)
- Psalm 46 (Responsorial)
- Old Testament Reading: 1 Samuel 24: 1-17
- Magnificat – Song of Mary (Margaret Rizza)
- New Testament Reading: Luke 14: 12-24
- Nunc Dimittis – Song of Simeon (Margaret Rizza)
- Creed and Sung Responses (Aston)
- Anthem – Faithful Shepherd, Feed Me (Christopher Gower – WORLD PREMIER)
- Prayers Closing Hymn – Tell out, my soul!
- Organ Voluntary – “Songs of Praise” (Herbert Chappell)